Staff Recruitment, Retention, and Development
Goal Statement 1: Mason Public Schools will attract a larger and more diverse candidate pool for positions at Mason Public Schools, develop staff to better serve students and improve the employee experience, and retain talent through efforts to build a system of staff supports.
Objective 1: Mason Public Schools will build an intentional culture that generates systems and strategies to increase authentic engagement by promoting positive perspectives toward self and others that will establish healthy relationships.
- Improve access for students and staff to behavioral and social emotional supports at all three tiers.
- Refine systematic Social Emotional Learning programming throughout the district.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive school counseling program prekindergarten-12th grade, addressing the mental health, social emotional, and personal needs of students.
Objective 2: Mason Public Schools will build structural support systems and strategies that proactively identify and address individual and collective student needs equitably.
- Review and formalize the district’s Multi-tiered System of Supports (MTSS).
- Formalize procedures for supporting students, including information for families on how to connect with resources inside and outside of the district, to address various inequities.
Objective 3: Mason Public Schools will build leadership opportunities, cultural awareness, and community partnerships that will provide students and staff with a platform of engagement in 21st century learning.
- Update, develop, and implement media literacy programs throughout the district, prekindergarten-12th grade.
- Understand and support community diversity and culture, including continued equity and inclusion efforts.
- Develop and implement service-based learning environments to increase student engagement and provide students, prekindergarten-12th grade, the opportunity to give back to the community.
Goal Statement 2: Mason Public Schools will retain talent through efforts to build a system of staff supports.
Objective 1: Mason Public Schools will build a culture of mutual support with staff.
- Emphasize and reward a culture of collaboration.
- Explore "Culture Coaching".
- Succeed together (de-emphasize internal competition).
- Operate as a School District, versus a district of schools.
- Develop action plan based on survey feedback.
- Identify areas of emphasis for Nice Job Notes, recognize collaboration.
- Build commonality across buildings/departments regarding positive activities for staff. (spirit days, sunshine committees, sharing ideas across Lead team, etc.)
Goal Statement 3: Mason Public Schools will develop staff to better serve students and improve the employee experience.
Objective 1: Mason Public Schools will utilize available development opportunities for professional growth of staff members.
- Educate staff on development opportunities.
- Coordinate this effort with department directors and professional development committee.
- Provide a listing of opportunities available to staff.
- Utilize all of the available pathways for credential attainment.
- Maintain a resource list.
- Inform both certified and non-certified staff on the various options to obtain or add a certification.
Objective 2: Mason Public Schools will provide position-specific professional development (PD) for new staff.
- Provide position-specific training plan and training schedule for all non-certified individuals upon hire (retain new teacher program). Include follow-up timeline for supervisors.
- Assign an experienced partner for all new employees.
- Develop a paraprofessional academy/bootcamp.
- Create a job shadow schedule.
- Provide an experienced Aide as a new hire trainer.
- Plan annual PD with the Mason Association of Educational Assistants team.